Department of the Attorney General

Department of the Attorney General
Law Compass

Your identity

The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages is the place to go to obtain copies or change details on birth, death or marriage certificates. The Registry can also help you change your name or research your family history.

Getting copies of certificates

The Registry can provide a certificate from a registration of birth, death or marriage that occurred and was registered in Western Australia since 1 September 1841 and a certificate of a change of name document registered at this office since 31 January 1957.

Gender reassignment recognition

The Gender Reassignment Board enables people who have undergone a gender reassignment procedure to have their new gender legally recognised.

Commemorative certificates

Capture the excitement and joy of a special birth in a unique and lasting way with a commemorative birth certificate.

Changing your name

Find out how to officially change your name.

Amendment of certificates

If information on a certificate issued by the Registry is incorrect or incomplete, you should contact the Registry.

Family history

The best way to trace your family tree is to start with the information you know and work backwards - yourself, your parents, grandparents, great grandparents.